Friday, July 31, 2009

Books Books

Still trying to catch up - 2 books I got from Mary: The Clothes on their Backs by Linda Grant and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

The first one, The Clothes on their Backs follows a young woman, a daughter of Hungarian immigrants in London, and how she discovers her family's past, as her parents don't want to talk about it (they barely leave their flat, so afraid of everything are they). It's a good story, and the parts set in Hungary were very interesting, but I didn't warm to Vivien, the main character of the story. I'm glad I read it, as it's very well written (It got shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2008), but I don't think I would read it again.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (what a mouthful) is a story set in the Channel Islands after World War II. It follows Juliet, an English writer, who ends up on Guernsey and falls in love with the place. It's written through an exchange of letters between Juliet and many other characters - her best friend, her editor, and various members of the said Society. It's a lovely story, that takes its time to develop, and has a few surprises (including an Oscar Wilde manuscript). I knew nothing about Guernsey, but after reading this book, I wouldn't mind visiting some time - it sounds like the sea is everywhere and the light keeps changing. Probably a good spot for painters. Sadly, Mary Ann Shaffer died before the book was published, and her niece, Annie Barrows, took over and saw the book through to publication. I'm glad she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment